Monday, March 19, 2012

The "War on Women"

Let me first state that I readily admit I am on the fence about many political debates. Coming from a female dominated family (immediate and extended) where my mother has always been the bread winner, with no brothers, and never ever having the thought cross my mind I couldn't do what "the boys do," I'm pretty passionate about equality and fairness and you'd think I'd swing to left. Yet, while my family is predominately focused in the healthcare and science fields (two of my aunts always traveling to some distant country to do a presentation/talk/conference/research, etc.)  I took a very different route, obtaining my undergrad degree in marketing and my master's in business. That being said, the majority of the time I can just see both sides. However, when it comes to women's healthcare I have a very strong opinion of choice, but what really frustrates me is that I don't even think this whole debate will go anywhere after the election. 

At first I was really angry and appalled by the whole "War on Women" debate. I wanted to write a blog titled Keep Your Nose Out of My Uterus!, but seeing as how I'm a believer in "don't post when you're angry" I decided to wait a few weeks; not sure anything positive can come out of a blog with that title, ha! But, the more I listened, the more upset I was getting. I just think prevention is so incredibly important. We can say all day what people should and shouldn't do, but realistically, teens are going to have sex and do you really want more of them on TV shows, in the clinic, on food stamps, etc., not to mention our taxes are constantly being given to single mothers. Why would we want to create more? Without prevention measures for females, that is exactly what is going to happen. No offense to my male friends, but in general, they do not consider the risks the way females do; I think we can all agree on that. 

Besides that, I just think fair is fair. If health insurance companies are going to cover vasectomies and condoms, they should also cover laparoscopies and birth control and not drugs for ED. That's really all I have to say about that. 

Now to my real point- after getting past the emotional aspects of this debate, I realized that it is all just political propaganda to swing voters one way or another, and that's it. The republicans are trying to get the conservative vote using this debate and the democrats are using it to get the liberal and female vote. Let's be serious, men will always want to sleep with women without the consequences. Not saying women don't feel the same way, but what I am saying is that this debate will go nowhere after this election. Birth control will still be available, just as it has been and it's truly frustrating to me that there is so much time, effort and money being spent on this debate right now. That is my opinion on the "War on Women."

At the end of the day, society will continue to progress and I have the same belief that my good friend Ashley has that "women will find some justice in this." I will leave you with this funny little cartoon so that maybe we can all see the humor/ridiculousness in this and move on.  





No comments:

Post a Comment